Read the official Contao announcements.
Contao Two Month Review January and February 2020
by Blair Winans – Community
What lasts long, finally gets better.
The last two months have been dominated by Contao 4.9, and the Core Development group with Andreas, David, Fritz, Jim, Leo, Martin and Yanick has once again scored a perfect score. On February 18, 2019, Contao 4.9 was finally released. This new LTS version will be provided with updates until February 2023 and security patches until February 2024. At the Contao-Roundtable Plus in Switzerland, the new features were reviewed even before the release. A release party for Contao 4.9 was held at the Contao-Community-Meeting Bayern.
Christian from the Contao Academy has also published videos about some of the new features on his YouTube channel:
- Set access rights for content elements
- Google Search Results Preview
- Trial Version | Developer Version | Install Release Candidate
- Database updates via command line (contao:migrate)
- Create new form field of type Range-Slider
- The frontend preview was technically revised
- Now possible in the backend: define favicon and add entries to the robots.txt
- New crawler for backend and command line
An overview of all new features and changes since Contao 4.4
- Contao Open Source CMS 4.5 / Announcement / Changelog / Upgrade
- Contao Open Source CMS 4.6 / Announcement / Changelog / Upgrade
- Contao Open Source CMS 4.7 / Announcement / Changelog / Upgrade
- Contao Open Source CMS 4.8 / Announcement / Changelog / Upgrade
- Contao Open Source CMS 4.9 / Announcement / Changelog / Upgrade
... and while we are still enjoying the best Contao ever, at the developer meeting, the core development group is already looking into the future of Contao.
A big thank you to everyone involved and have fun with the newest child of the Contao family.
I would like to recommend the Contao Agenturtag in Karlsruhe on Friday, March 6, 2020.
Past community events and mumble calls
At the following community events and mumble calls we discussed Contao and exchanged experiences. Take a look, there is always something new to discover and learn!
- 2020-01-16 Contao Mumble-Call
- 2020-01-23 Contao-Community-Meeting Bayern
- 2020-02-01 Contao-Roundtable NRW
- 2020-02-08 Contao-Roundtable Schweiz
- 2020-02-12 Contao-Doku Mumble-Call
- 2020-02-12 Contao-Roundtable Allgäu
- 2020-02-13 Contao Mumble-Call
- 2020-02-13 Contao-Roundtable Berlin
- 2020-02-20 Contao-Community-Meeting Bayern
- 2020-02-20 Contao-Roundtable Dresden
- 2020-02-27 Contao-Roundtable Stuttgart
Future community events and mumble calls
- 2020-03-12 Contao Mumble-Call
- 2020-03-12 Contao-Community-Meeting Bayern
- 2020-04-09 Contao Mumble-Call
- 2020-04-20 Contao-Community-Meeting Bayern
- 2020-04-23 Contao-Roundtable Dresden
A list of future events can be found on the project website.
Is your event is missing from this list? We would love to mention it in the next review.
Dates to Reserve
- 2020-03-06 Contao Agenturtag in Karlsruhe
- 2020-04-25 and 2020-04-26 Contao Camp in Hamburg
- 2020-06-20 Contao NRW Day in Münster
Blog Posts, YouTube Channels and Miscellaneous
- Matthias from Küstenschmiede describes on his info channel why they use Contao and gives a dozen good reasons for using Contao.
- Christian from the Contao Academy explains how to fix errors when sending e-mails and how a summary of the data can be displayed after sending the form.
- Philipp from pdir GmbH explains in his blog post how to create a new content element in Contao 4.8 or 4.9 without using a separate bundle.
- Juliane from pdir GmbH explains how you can really save energy with a website and gives many tips that you can also use in your own themes.
- Christian Roeckl has revived Contao on Pinterest.
- Florian from the advertising agency Dreibein GmbH writes in a blog post about the release of Contao 4.9
- Shortly after the release of Contao 4.9, all extensions & themes of RockSolid themes are compatible with the new version of Contao.
- Tom from cyon GmbH presents Contao 4.9 - New version with long-term support to the readers in the blog.
- Blair felt the need… the need for PageSpeed with Contao.
Have you written something about Contao and would like to share with us? Then click here.
- 2020-01-30 Contao Agenturtag 2020
- 2020-01-31 Contao gardener at the Chemnitzer Linuxtage
- 2020-02-11 Contao 4.9.0 comes next week
- 2020-02-12 Contao Camp 2020 in Hamburg
- 2020-02-18 Contao 4.9.0 available
- 2020-02-27 Changes in the board of the Contao Association
- 2020-01-14 The new Contao documentary and insights into the forum
- 2020-01-28 Meet Contao
- 2020-02-11 Favorite Extensions / Rocksolid Frontend Helper
- 2020-02-25 Contao for editors / Articles
- Isotope eCommerce, the free shop solution for Contao, is available in versions 2.6.5, 2.6.6, 2.6.7 and 2.6.8.
- Cliff has released the extension to load additional plug-ins for the TinyMCE in version 2.1.10. An update is recommended.
- Contao 4.9 LTS + OpenLayers 6.2 = con4gis 7.0 from Küstenschmiede is a milestone in the history of GIS building blocks and comes with new mapping technology.
- The extension contao-be-include-info by Fritz shows in the backend where a content element, form or frontend module has been included. Thanks to a fundraising, organized by Ingolf, it has been updated and extended by some functions.
- Christian from Contao Academy presents the rel-canonical extension by Christian Barkowsky on YouTube.
- The Contao Official Demo 4.4.0 is available in version 4.9.1 and higher thanks to Cliff for Contao.
- MetaModels now offers a compatible version MM 2.2 (Dev) for Contao 4.9. This version will be extended with additional features. The first feature is the manual sorting of the files (also translated). Access is again available through an "Early Adopter Program" with a grant of 350€ or more. More information in the MM-News of February. There are still places available for the MM-Workshop at the Contao-Camp in HH!
Paid extensions or products
Have you written a paid extension for Contao or a product related to Contao and would like to present it? We would like to receive your contribution if you fulfill the following requirements:
- Individuals must be active members of the Contao Association.
- Companies must be patrons of the Contao Association.
On February 4th, 2020, pdir GmbH from Meißen, Germany has published a particularly climate-friendly Contao theme which can be purchased for free with a copyright notice or as a domain license without copyright notice, e.g. in the Contao Theme Store. More information and a link to the demo can be found in the detailed documentation.
The broker module for Contao imports your data sets from the most popular broker software vendors (e.g. openestate-ImmoTool, IMMO-SOLUTION, onOffice, FlowFact and many more) and is now available in version 2.4.0. A demo and further information can be found here.
Newly released Contao versions
- 2020-01-18 Contao Open Source CMS Version 4.9.0-RC1 (LTS)
- 2020-02-11 Contao Open Source CMS Version 4.9.0-RC2 (LTS)
- 2020-02-17 Contao Open Source CMS Version 4.4.47 (LTS)
- 2020-02-17 Contao Open Source CMS Version 4.8.8
- 2020-02-18 Contao Open Source CMS Version 4.9.0 (LTS)
- 2020-02-27 Contao Open Source CMS Version 4.9.1 (LTS)
Editorial deadline for the next review is the 27. April 2020.
Enjoy the Contao Agenturtag in Karlsruhe and the Contao Camp in Hamburg.
Back to the news overview.