Read the official Contao announcements.
Contao Two Month Review March and April 2020
by Blair Winans – Community
The world stands still, and yet - or perhaps because of it - a lot has happened in the Contao environment.
At the beginning of March we received the sad news that Harry had passed away. Therefore, we start with a short obituary and keep him in our thoughts.
In memory of Harry Boldt
The voice that had made it easier for many of us to enter the Contao world with his learning video and his training center in Aachen, Germany, has unfortunately fallen silent forever. Rest in peace, dear Harry. We wish the bereaved all the best and plenty of strength in these difficult times.
It was difficult for me to find a transition, so I have added a minute's silence.
Contao Agency Day
When arriving at the Contao Agency Day, most likely no one thought that it would be the last public Contao event for a long time. Since the early bird catches the worm, a large group met on Thursday evening in the workbench to deepen friendships and meet new people over food and drink. On Friday, at 9.00 a.m., everyone met in the CyberForum to join the diverse and varied program. Yanick, coming directly from the developer meeting, gave insights into Contao version 4.9 and perspectives beyond. The topics in the sessions afterwards were specific to Contao, such as backend tracking of users with Matomo, workflows with Contao 4, the new con4gis 7 or agency-relevant topics like Web50+, productivity hacks, team scaling, DSGVO and much more.
At the end of the main program, the knowledge dating got down to business. As always, time passed much too fast. The day was rounded off with the end in Carl's Wirtshaus. Many thanks to all participants and the organizers Oli & seine Trilobiten and Thomas. See you in a year at the same time and place.
Past community events and Mumble calls
At the following community events and Mumble calls we have discussed and exchanged experiences about Contao. Have a look, there is always something to discover and learn!
- 2020-03-12 Contao Mumble-Call
- 2020-03-12 Contao Community Meeting Bavaria
- 2020-03-30 Contao-Roundtable Stuttgart
- 2020-04-09 Contao Mumble-Call
- 2020-04-20 Contao Community Meeting Bavaria
- 2020-04-23 Contao-Roundtable Dresden
- 2020-04-24 Contao-Roundtable Austria
Future community events and Mumble calls
- 2020-05-06 Docu Mumble-Call
- 2020-05-07 Contao Mumble-Call
- 2020-06-04 Contao Mumble-Call
- 2020-06-15 Contao Community Meeting Bavaria
- 2020-06-17 Contao-Roundtable Austria
- 2020-06-25 Contao-Roundtable Dresden
A list of future events can be found on the project website.
Your event is missing on this list? We will gladly mention your date in the next review.
Dates to book
- 2020-06-20 Contao NRW Day
The current planning for Contao NRW Day is currently moving towards an online event. If conditions allow, the considerations also include the possibility of additional on-site groups. Further information will be published shortly under nrw-day.de.
- Unfortunately, the Contao conference in Leipzig has been cancelled.
- Contao Agency Day is scheduled for March 2021.
Blog posts, YouTube channels and miscellaneous
- Yanick from the core development team explained the advantages of Contao 4.9 on Contao Agency Day.
- Christian, the founder of the Contao Academy, explains step by step how to create an access token at GitHub and why this is necessary.
- Ulrich von redmind GmbH writes about Contao 4.9 Part 1 & Part 2
- Christian from the Contao Academy explains how you can embed a iFrame or script tag in Contao.
- Matthias von der Küstenschmiede presented @gutesausjever in the part 1 of his article @gutesausjever. In the part 2 he shows you how to build such a list with Contao and con4gis.
- Benedict from Present Progressive explains, why sometimes an update is done quickly and other times it turns everything upside down.
- The Contao Theme OPTIMIST is Erdmann & Freunde's answer to the virus. Free and Open Source.
- extensions.contao.org is on the verge of 1 million (!) search queries in April alone.
You have written about Contao and want to share this page with us? Then give it to me.
- 2020-03-07 In memoriam Harry Boldt
- 2020-03-10 Review of the first Core Developer Meeting 2020
- 2020-03-13 No Contao Camp 2020
- 2020-04-16 Cancellation of the Contao Conference 2020
- 2020-04-27 Status Quo Marketing
- 2020-03-11 Contao2xliff extension with Christian Bargon
- Isotope eCommerce, the free shop solution for Contao, is available in version 2.6.9 and 2.6.10. Furthermore, the Instructions for installing the demo are updated.
- Simon from the advertising agency Dreibein GmbH has published a Contao Push Bundle to send push notifications with Contao and to display Contao Author Bundle additional information about the author of a post on the reader's page.
- Moritz has published two bundles, contao-me-like to implement likes/votes that need to be confirmed by email (with hashed saved addresses) and contao-twig to allow Twig templates instead of Contao templates.
- A compatible version MM 2.2 of MetaModels for Contao 4.9 is now available through our "early-adopter program". The MM core (2.2) has been "cleaned up", i.e. several displays have been adapted to the larger Contao 4 back end, unnecessary submitOnChange has been removed, the usual settings have been set as default, names and sequences have been standardized and much more. The attribute Alias can now be switched to the slug generator for special characters and the automatic prefix "id-" can be disabled. For the translated alias, a fixed prefix and postfix can be assigned for each language. News about the MetaModels project.
Commercial extensions or products
You have written a paid extension for Contao or a product related to Contao and want to introduce it here? Your contribution is welcome if you meet the following requirements:
- Individuals must be active members of the Contao Association.
- Companies must be patrons of the Contao Association.
Newly released Contao versions
- 2020-04-02 Contao Open Source CMS Version 4.4.48 (LTS)
- 2020-04-02 Contao Open Source CMS Version 4.9.2 (LTS)
Editorial deadline for the next review is the 27 June 2020.
Best wishes and stay healthy