Read the official Contao announcements.
Contao Two Month Review November and December 2021
by Blair Winans – Community
Today we take a look back - this time not on the last two months, but on the entire year of Contao in 2021.
- To shorten the waiting time for the next regulars' table, an online regulars' table was organized by the Contao event team.
- Andy provided a performance boost with the release of Contao Manager 1.4 and by switching to Composer 2.0.
- Our core developers released a new Contao version 4.11 in addition to the monthly bug fixes.
- Furthermore, we were excellently entertained by Contao in the various TV formats.
- In March, after 355 releases, we celebrated Contao's 15th birthday with an online event featuring a public panel discussion and congratulations from all over the world.
- To make sure that Contao will continue to be successful in the future, we have expanded the possibilities to promote Contao.
- In Karlsruhe, respectively on the worldwide web, the Contao Agency Day took place with many exciting presentations and encounters.
- Through our in-house channel, we met many Contao enthusiasts in Meet the Community. In the Contao Show, various topics were highlighted and at Stage Time we got to the bottom of things.
- In addition, the Composer Resolver Cloud is now running with PHP 8.0 on Hostingwerk's server.
- At the second Karlsruhe Tech-eXchange by IONOS, Leo got the opportunity to present Contao to a broad public audience.
- In a hackathon, we freed the English user documentation from the last machine-translated articles.
- All members got the opportunity to elect a new president after the annual general meeting of the Contao Association. A huge thank you to the outgoing president Nicky Hoff and a warm welcome to our new president Joachim Nickel.
- There were also some film reels filled with Meet the Community and the Contao Show gave us a look behind the scenes.
- We celebrated the new arrival of Contao 4.12 with an online session and got a live insight into the new features of Contao. Afterwards, various tables were available in the virtual room to exchange ideas on various topics.
- PHP magazine put Contao in the spotlight and highlighted our CMS universe with two articles. On the one hand, Jörg reports about the wonderful world of Contao, and on the other hand Leo gives us a look under the hood of Contao.
- Yanick explains at cyon why the open source CMS Contao is so popular.
- At the core developer meeting, once again night was turned into day and no discussion was avoided. Ideas were collected and discarded, code was written and 72 hours of Contao were lived.
- The planning for two Contao events in two thousand and two is in full swing:
- Contao Agency Day online will take place on March 11, 2022.
- The Contao Camp will take place on Saturday, April 30, 2022, and Sunday, May 1, 2022, in the center of Potsdam. There is already the possibility to participate in different workshops at the Contao College on Friday, April 29, 2022. Furthermore, we have taken up the idea from the last camp and offer the hackathon as a separate program item on Friday.
- The Contao Core developers' public conference call has found a new home on Slack.
- After the summer break, the Contao Show finally raises the curtain again.
- The Core team gets a new member and welcomes Moritz. The Contao core development team now consists of eight developers.
November and December 2021
- On December 22, 2021, Composer 2.2 was released. Martin has recorded the benefits of the new version for posterity in an extremely worth reading article. He goes into detail about the performance issues and how Yanick was instrumental in finding solutions.
- Oli talks in the news article about the gold of our time and how you can store, process and get the most out of it while prospecting DSGVO compliant.
- Contao TV, with its various formats, has also ensured that we have been well entertained and informed through our working days in the past two months.
A look into the near future
In February 2022, the latest Contao version 4.13 will be released with an extended support period, and I am already looking forward to the many new features. This version will accompany us until February 2026 and will replace Contao 4.9 as LTS version. Have fun testing and using this excellent piece of software, and see you in the next best version.
Past community events, Contao calls and Contao TV
At the following community events and Contao calls, we have discussed and exchanged experiences about Contao. Have a look, there is always something to discover and learn!
- 2021-11-02 Contao TV Contao.random() #4
- 2021-11-04 Contao TV - Contao Show #12
- 2021-11-18 Contao call
- 2021-11-25 Contao-Roundtable Berlin
- 2021-11-30 Contao TV Contao.random() #5
- 2021-12-16 Contao call
- 2021-12-22 Contao TV Meet the Community with Kim Wormer
Upcoming Community Events, Contao calls and Contao TV
- 2022-01-13 Contao call
- 2022-02-10 Contao call
A list of future events can be found on the project website.
Is your event missing on this list? We will gladly mention your date in the next review.
Dates to book
- 2022-03-11 Contao Agency Day
- 2022-04-29 Contao College and Hackathon in Potsdam
- 2022-04-30 to 2022-05-01 Contao Camp in Potsdam
Contao news of the past 2 months
- 2021-11-01 A review of episode 003 of Contao.random() and announcement for episode 004
- 2021-11-18 Composer and Contao for the rest of the world
- 2021-11-22 Contao Camp in Potsdam on April 30 and May 1, 2022!
- 2021-11-25 A review of episode 004 of Contao.random() and announcement for episode 005
- 2021-11-30 Data, data, data
- 2021-12-17 Contao TV Stage Time about Contao Camp 2022 released
- 2021-12-22 Contao TV Meet the Community with Kim Wormer
- Isotope eCommerce, the free online store solution for Contao, is available in version 2.7.4.
- MetaModels: As always, the work on MM 2.2 continues: there were minor fixes to the attributes Geodistance, Select, translated Tablemulti and Levenshtein as well as to the filter rule Range. The attributes Contentarticle and translated Contentarticle were fixed in the rights check. The customizable buttons in the FrontendEditing mask now automatically override the HTML5 validation if the button is not to be saved. Besides MM, work on DCG 2.2 continues, of course.
The Contao documentation continues to grow thanks to the help from the community:
The following contributions are new:
Newly released Contao versions
- 2021-12-02 Contao Open Source CMS Version 4.9.23 (LTS)
- 2021-12-02 Contao Open Source CMS Version 4.12.4
- 2021-12-16 Contao Open Source CMS Version 4.9.24 (LTS)
- 2021-12-16 Contao Open Source CMS Version 4.12.5
Finally a few numbers
2 releases for Contao 4.4 (end of life 2021-12-14)
14 releases for Contao 4.9
2 releases for Contao 4.10 (End of life 2021-02-14)
10 releases for Contao 4.11 (End of life 2021-08-14)
6 releases for Contao 4.12
4 security vulnerabilities in Contao have been closed
5 broadcasts Contao Show
11 releases Meet the Community
6 broadcasts Stage Time
1 show Tech Talk
5 broadcasts Contao.random()
59 posts Contao News
Everything has its time - and thus concludes our year in review. Thank you for your feedback and comments.
I wish you all the best in the new year, and continue to have fun with our favorite CMS.