Read the official Contao announcements.
TYPOlight goes PHP5.2
by Leo Feyer – Announcements
Although TYPOlight has been a PHP5 application ever since and does run stable on PHP 5.1+, we have decided to join the goPHP5.org mission and to make PHP 5.2.0 the minimum requirement. Therefore, as from 5th February 2008, we will accept code snippets that use language features found exclusively in PHP 5.2.
The benefits of PHP 5.2
Here is a short list of features that have been introduced in version 5.2.
- Improved performance and a more accurate memory usage
- Better security through the filter extension
- ZIP extension for creating and editing zip files
- Hooks for tracking file upload progress were introduced
- DateTime and DateTimeZone objects with methods to manipulate date/time information
- SQLite has been bundled with PHP
- Vastly improved XML support (critical for many things, including feeds and aggregation)
- Real opportunities for object oriented programming
Recently, the PHP team announced the End-of-Life for PHP 4.x as of the end of 2007. PHP 5 is fast, stable and production-ready and as PHP 6 is on the way, PHP 4 will be discontinued.